Most People seem to agree that we cannot and do not want to go back to the past, but the reason given is often wrong; that time has moved on and what was can never be again. The truth is that we cannot go back to what we never left. Our home is the earth, our time the Pleistocene Ice Ages. The past is the formula for our being.
(Paul Shepard)

Thursday, 26 July 2012

love life idiots

  One of my favourite ways to enjoy rabbit is to make a tomato and bacon sauce. It produces a pretty cheap and very tasty meal, Rabbit is so lean that I have found one must add some fatty meat to it to make it taste better and to avoid feeling unsatiated.
ooh watch the salt!
 Anyhow we use tinned tomatoes  for convenience and cost, this is pretty much the only tinned food I eat. The tomatoes from Tesco come in old fashioned metal tins but I have noticed over the past year alot of products are now coming with a plastic sheathed tin. This is the BPA coating that the EU recently banned for use in baby products but that our wonderful NHS has declared safe.
  These tomatoes come from the "upmarket" supermarket Waitrose and part of the execrable "love life" range. You will of course immediately noticed that these tomatoes are marketed as healthy and feature the traffic light system telling customers that this product is "green" so go on stuff your face.  In addition to coming in a toxic can (but presumably as adults we devlop some organ or gland that can deal with BPA unlike when we were babies) these tomatoes have also inexplicably had sugar added to them.....
Yes that actually says SUGAR





This is a pretty much neutral food in the healthy choices section from a pretty decent supermarket...... so tell me why does anyone think that labelling is going to help with obesity epidemic???

2 comments:

  1. I use canned tomatoes all the time. They are usually much darker and better tasting than bland pale fresh tomatoes available at the local vegetable stores. But I buy Italian cans at the local upscale deli for something like 15 kč (around 75 US cents). Actual Italian tomatoes canned in Italy with an Italian label. Worth the extra price in my opinion--no added sugar.

    And while I'm certainly not scared of salt, I prefer that it's not added to stuff unnecessarily like this. I'm perfectly capable of adding in salt myself when the dish is finished, but I don't have the power to remove salt if there's too much. I suppose a small amount of salt is necessary to add flavor out of the can for the more naive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I'm going to look for a good source of tinned toms I can also feel a stiff letter to waitrose coming on. I don't really blame people for espousing the official line on nutrition but I do expect better than aadding sugar to "healthy lines" especially if the salt content is going to get flagged up, "yellow oh my god!!"

    ReplyDelete